Pittsburgh, Penna., August 11, 1827. Unlined bifolium, approx. 9.75 x 8 inches, 1 page of text plus integral address. Faint circular Pittsburgh cancel and manuscript 20-cent rate marked. Docketed in ink on the verso. Small closed tear to a portion of the blank leaf along an old fold; portion of the cover browned; some light foxing; in very good condition. Item #16827
A business letter and invoice for five kegs of tobacco and candle wicks and glass to an early merchant in the Fayette county town once known popularly as Beesontown, south of Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh merchant Charles Avery was an important Pittsburgh abolitionist philanthropist who in 1849 founded a school for free blacks called the Allegheny Institute (renamed Avery College after its benefactor's death in 1858).