St. Louis: VanderHaeghen Lith. [ca. 1855-1859]. First edition. Lithographed broadside, approx. 10.5 x 8 inches, with a variety of accomplished display typefaces. With an approx. 3.38 x 5.75 inch view of the academy at the head of the sheet. Old folds; some light toning; in very good condition. Item #16845
An attractice prospectus advertising for students at this Christian Brothers school. The Academy was established in St. Louis in 1851; the Legislature granted it a college charter in December, 1855 (noted in the prospectus here). The text notes that the school has had success in its "few years" and that its professors are noted as "always free from prejudice or party-spirit," which suggests the era prior to Civil War. Includes an outline of the financial terms ($150 per session for board, tuition, washing, mending, stationery and use of books, plus a $6 entrance fee and $5 physician's fee) and of the fairly rigorous course of study "No uniform is required. Students should be furnished with three suits, necessary linens, &c. &c."