Toledo, O. Electro-Chemical Ring Co., 1909. First edition thus. 16mo, original pictorial self-wrappers, 31,  pages. Illus. Somewhat dust soiled and a trifle stained; in very good condition. Item #18193
An attractive little quack promotional pamphlet for a ring purported to draw acid from the blood and thus to cure afflictions ranging from diabetes to cancerous tumors to rhinolith—”a stony concretion formed in the nose.” The Journal of the AMA (April 10, 1915) reported with a certain satisfaction that the operation had finally been shut down, noting, “Is it possible to devise a scheme so silly, a fake so flagrant, a swindle so self-evident that the public will have none of it? The history of the ‘Electro-Chemical Ring’ seems to answer this question in the negative. Of all utterly futile pieces of charlatanry it is doubtful if any ever surpassed the Electro-Chemical King fraud.” This promotional piece includes sections in German and (as might be expected for a Toledo company) in Polish, and the fine cut on the front wrapper shows a gentleman in a top hat who accompanies a small girl who indicates a banner upon which is emblazoned an electro-chemical ring, while amid the bucolic splendor of the scene tennis players sport in the background. This pamphlet with copyright dates dating back to 1894; OCLC notes a pamphlet copyright 1909 (as here) with a publication date of 1911, held at Rochester only. Private collector’s neat ink inscription along the spine of the front wrapper, “The Lindan Collection,” and a pencil annotation to the wrapper. Middletown, O. sales agent stamp to the rear wrapper.